The day after we found a cute container for homemade ice cream at Marshalls (which you can also buy on Amazon), I knew we had to try a new recipe.
Cheesecake sounded really good so I found this recipe for Cream Cheese Ice Cream.
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- Caramel Topping (Optional)
- Sea Salt (Optional)
1. Whisk together first 3 ingredients in a large heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly.
2. Remove from heat, and whisk in cream cheese and vanilla bean paste until cheese is melted.
3. Cool completely (about 1 hour), stirring occasionally.
4. Place plastic wrap directly on mixture (to prevent a film from forming) or store in a sealed tight Tupperware container, and chill 8 to 24 hours.
5. Pour mixture into freezer container of a 1 1/2-qt. electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. (For the Ice Cream maker we had, this took around 25-30 minutes).
6. Transfer ice cream to an airtight container and freeze 4 hours before serving.
7. Top with desired toppings — I used caramel & sea salt.