After a lot of research on Pinterest, I finally found an idea for a quilt pattern that didn’t look like it would be too difficult for a beginning quilter.
Once we found out we were having a boy, I picked out these six fabrics for the quilt. The top three were on sale at Joann Fabric (I bought 1/2 yard each) and the bottom three were from a thrift store (over 3 yards each).
The fabric was cut into 6 inch squares and laid out on the floor. I decided not to do a repetitive pattern with the different fabrics.
I made the quilt 6 squares wide by 10 squares long so that it would be about the same size as the crib mattress.
Next I stitched all of the squares together.
Next I saftey-pinned the middle of each square to secure it to the batting and the backing before starting the quilting stitches.
After folding up/pinning/sewing the edges, here is the finished quilt…