A friend of mine asked me to make some clergy shirts for her last year.
The first shirt is a New York & Company brand and was already her size. Since we don’t live nearby each other, I used this shirt as a template to guess the sizing on the other two shirts I made for her.
Since it was already her size, all I had to do was adjust the collar.
She also wanted a sleeveless shirt and sent me a photo in the middle as an idea. Instead of all solid shirts, we wanted something with a little bit of a pattern. I found this shirt with a purple/white checkered pattern which worked perfectly. It was a few sizes larger then what she wore which gave me more room to alter it.
I cut the sleeves off first and then I took in some fabric from each side and also added one seam down the middle of the back to give it some more shape. I used the extra fabric from the sleeves to add two small pockets in the front that she liked in another picture she sent. Then I finished off the collar.
I made one other one with a solid blue short sleeve button up shirt as well.
I learned after this project that I am definitely more of a perfectionist when I am working on a project for someone else. I did more seam ripping then I did sewing. 🙂